Saturday, October 17, 2009

Portfolio Allocation

One of the most neglected topics on the personal finance blogsphere is asset allocation, and if you believe modern portfolio theory asset allocation this could be one of the most important determinates in portfolio performance. So today I'd thought I'd share with you my personal portfolio allocation. My goals are simply to own most major asset class, be diversified internationally as well as across market caps, and have the traditional 60/40 balanced portfolio split between stocks and bonds. It is designed to help weather downturns in the market, currency risk, country risk and individual security risk, and emphasizes value, small cap, and emerging markets, areas that have historically over long periods of time outperformed the total market.

Fund Name
Symbol
Asset Class
Target
Vanguard Total Stock Market
VTI
LCB
6.75%
Vanguard Value VIPERs
VTV
LCV
6.75%
Vanguard Small-Cap
VB
SCB
6.75%
Vanguard Small Cap Value VIPERs
VBR
SCV
6.75%
Vanguard REIT Index ETF
VNQ
REIT
3.00%
Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US
EUV
INT'L LCB
5.40%
iShares MSCI EAFE Value Index
EFV
INT'L LCV
5.40%
Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Small-Cap Index
VSS
INT'L SCB
5.40%
WisdomTree Int'l Small Cap Div Fund
DLS
INT'L SCV
5.40%
Vanguard Emerging Markets Fund
VWO
EM
5.40%
iShares S&P World ex-US Property Index
WPS
INT'L REIT
3.00%
Vanguard Intermediate Bond Market ETF
BIV
INTER BOND
10.00%
Vanguard Short-Term Bond Market ETF
BSV
SHORT-TERM BOND
5.00%
Nuveen Select Tax Free Fund
NXQ
MUNI BOND
10.00%
iShares S&P/Citi Intl Treasury Bond
IGOV
INT'L BOND
10.00%
SPDR Barclays Cap S/T Intl Treasury Bond
BWZ
INT'L BOND
5.00%

Is it perfect? I don't think anything is perfect when it comes to investing. But it is something I where can sleep at night and provides returns that are competitive. The shortcomings are that I wish I could find a more broadly diversified international small cap value ETF, and I wish there were more broadly diversified international bond offerings available. As the financial marketplace changes, I'll keep searching for new offerings that better fit my needs and will adjust the portfolio accordingly. Do I have any investments outside of this portfolio? A few... primarily a small position in a commodities ETN that I don't consider a core holding, and some physical gold as a hedge against worse case scenarios.

No comments:

Post a Comment