Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Kiplinger Retiree Guide

Each year Kiplinger Magazine publishes their retiree guide. Though I am 10 - 15 years away from retirement (if there will be such a thing in the future), it doesn't hurt to do a little advanced planning.

In no particular order, my criteria in selecting a place to retire includes:
  1. Reasonable real estate prices.
  2. A mild climate that includes the possible of year-round outdoor activities, such as golf and hiking.
  3. Top-notch medical facilities within a 100 mile radius.
  4. Numerous cultural activities within the community, including restaurants, nightclubs, playhouses, art-galleries, a major university nearby, and colonies of artists from all disciplines.
  5. Low to no state income taxes.
  6. Low to no state estate taxes.
  7. Low to no state sales taxes.
  8. Low real estate taxes.
I'm sure my wish list will change and expand as I grow closer to retirement, and actively begin to research and visit potential locations. Some states that appear attractive to me right now include many of the usual suspects:
  1. Delaware
  2. Florida
  3. Nevada
  4. Texas (especially around Austin)
  5. Arizona (because I've always thought it would be cool to live in Sedona)
I'm not looking for places with high state taxes and lots of state provided services. I want to preserve my capital to use as best I see fit, whether it is for my own personal pleasure or to give to causes I believe in. I want to make sure my family is provided for so they can live free from financial worries. I want to do good for my community as an interested and concerned individual. Such are my simple-minded dreams. I'm sure there are other retirement destinations to research beyond my current thinking. What other places should I consider?

No comments:

Post a Comment